Sunday 19 July 2015

New Look K6217 T-Shirt


This pattern has been sat in my to-make pile for ages after it came free with issue 69 of Sew magazine back in March. After having a couple of weekends away from sewing- mainly due to lack of inspiring fabric, I thought it was about time I knocked together one of these tops with some leftover fabric from my Mimi Blouse.



What initially attracted me to this pattern was its versatility- sure it is described as a 't-shirt' but in the right fabric it definitely has a blouse-like quality. With that in mind I knew I wanted to extend the pattern by 1.5 inches so that there would be enough fabric to tuck into work trousers comfortably. Despite getting into a bit of a mess with the cellotape (ahem), extending the pattern was quite simple.


Assemblage was quite easy and the top was made in an afternoon. The only thing I wasn't happy with was my very poor pattern matching on the centre back seam! In fact I am going to admit it didn't even cross my mind to try- I guess I'm just not really used to tops with a centre back seam? Hmm yeah any excuse! Next time I will keep an eye on this!

The sneaky feature on this top is the gap at the top of the centre back seam fastened with a button. This is really just a feature as the neck is really wide and easy enough to get over your head without undoing. The neck is finished off with a strip of bias binding- I made my own from the fabric... It looks neater from the outside than inside, that's what matters right?


I'd like to make a few more K6217s- Maybe I'll go for block colour next time to avoid pattern matching! Being made up of only three pieces (2 back, 1 front) makes this top a good one for using up left over fabric. No pesky interfacing, no button holes and no zips. I should be able to knock out quite a few!


x

Currently listening to: No, Ryan Adams
Location: Crookesmoor Park, Sheffield

12 comments:

  1. Very nice blouse, looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous blouse, and great choice of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely :) What's your preferred bias binding method? It's my nemesis! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I go for, right sides together. Binding fold 1cm from the edge of the garment. Stitch along the fold. Trim the seam. Fold over and topstitch.
      Have tried various, but this seems to be working the best! Hope this is some kind of help! xox

      Delete
  4. awesome top there! Love the fabric x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Anchor love at first sight! xox

      Delete
  5. Just found your blog and read every post (don't tell my boss!) I love everything you have made! I was living in sheffield until last year and used to go to direct warehouse A LOT. It is such a strange place, some things really cheap but others expensive for what it is!
    You have just gained a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog is http://scientificsewing.blogspot.co.uk/ - I am much slower on my sewing journey than you though!

      Delete
    2. Hey! Great to meet you through here! Thanks for the blog comment- as if you read every post! I'm so very grateful for the support, will check out your blog forthwith! xox

      Delete
  6. Ilove how flowy your blouse is. I have made it in a stiffer fabric and just put the back seam of the pattern on the fold, just like the front. No pattern matching needed!

    ReplyDelete